HENRY & JOHNSON : JOHNSON CALISAYA BITTERS MORE ADDED
The Henry & Co. was a well known wholesaler in the drug trade located in Burlington, VT. In the 1860s. The firm had several partners which did business in Vermont, Upper New York and New Hampshire. In 1870 the firm would divide and Edward Wells and A. E. Richarson would take the title of Henry & Co. along with the wholesale part of the business. William Henry and Eli Johnson. Both who was born in 1837 would take over the manufacturing of proprietary medicines. They would call their firm Henry & Johnson Sole Proprietors of Manufacturing of Medicines. Their firm would relocate to 127 Church St in Burlington. Below is a add they placed in the 1873 in the Burlington City Directory advertising their products. The tree products were. N . H. Downs Vegetable Balsamic, Henrys Vegetable Worm Lozenges and Dr. Johnsons Calisaya Bitters.
Above are photos of their JOHNSONS CALISAYA BITTERS // BURLINGTON VT. and REV. N . H. DOWN'S / VEGETABLE / BALSANIC / EXLIXOR. By 1875 Loren B. Lord would partner with the company. The other well known product now that they produced was Baxters Mandrake Bitters, Arnica and Oil Liniment along with many other products. Below is a photo of their bottle and a add of BAXTERS MANDRAKE BITTERS BURLINGTON, VT.
The firm now would be called Henry, Johnson & Lord Manufacturers of Proprietary Medicines. Now located at 119-123 College St. Burlington. Their sales would extend to all parts of America. Eli B Johnson would die in 1903 and the firm was no longer listed in the city directory in 1924.
Below is a medicine bottle embossed HENRY, JOHNSON & LORD / MANUFACTURING CO. / BURLINGTON, VT.
New Hampshire Register Almanac & Business Directory of 1871.
Burlington VT. City Directories 1871 thur 1924.
1860 Federal Census for Washington County, VT.
Bitters Bottle by Caryln Ring & W. C. Ham.
Frank & Frank Jr. (Wicker) Bottle Collection.