L. HAAS & CO. : DER WAHRE JACOB BITTERS
L Haas was part of the Landman & Co. in 1885. By 1895 the L Haas & Co. was a wine and liquor merchant wholesaler located at 128 Summit Street Toledo, Ohio. This firm would relocate in 1900 to 402 Monroe Street until 1915. Below is a photo of the DER WAHRE JACOB BITTERS / L. HAAS & CO. SOLE PROPRIETORS / TOLEDO, OHIO.
The company also used the brand names Belle of Maumee, Conqueror Pure Rye, Golden Hope and Ravenna.
Here is a little about Der Wahre Jacob. It was a satirical magazine published by the Social Democrats and was threatened by the press censorship. Twelve issues were printed in Hamburg, Germany and by 1884 it was being printed in Stutgard, Germany until 1933. The same year the Social Democrats were forbidden. Circulation in 1890 was 100,000 issues and by 1912 more than 380,000 issues.
Toledo, Ohio City Directories 1895-1915.
Frank & Frank Jr. (Wicker) Bottle Collection.